My first time having this dish was back when I went back to Vietnam for the summer. We had some guests over, so my mom ordered a “No escape chicken” for our lunch, and I was very impressed with the name, the shape and the taste of it. It’s called “No escape chicken” because the chicken is ‘trapped’ in a layer of delicious glutinous rice with a crunchy outside. The chicken is wrapped in glutinous rice so it becomes very soft and tender, and the rice, absorbing the juice from the chicken, becomes much moist and fragrant.
This dish is very suitable for when you have guest, since you have a 2-in-1 dish with both chicken and fried glutinous rice. However since the whole thing is deep fried in oil, it’s best served with some salad so it won’t be too heavy.
Công thức tiếng Việt: Gà không lối thoát
* Nguyên liệu: (for 2 person)
- 400g glutinous rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 chicken leg
- 1 scallion + ½ tsp of oil + a pinch of salt (for making scallion oil)
- Oil to deep fry
Note: Usually this dish is done using a whole chicken, however I’m making this for 2 so I only used the leg. You can also substitute it with other parts of the chicken, or if you want to use the chole chicken then increase the glutinous rice to 1,2kg.
1. Rinse the rice 2-3 times, soak overnight. If you are in a hurry you can soak it with boiling water for 3-hours. Then discard the water and mix the rice with salt.
2. If you have a steamer then you just have to put the rice in with the chicken on top and steam for 15 minutes until the chicken is par-cooked (1) (2). Remove the chicken and let cool. Continue to steam the rice for 30 minutes until cooked. You can also use a rice cooker to steam the rice and the chicken (remove the chicken before stirring the rice).
3. While waiting for the rice, chop the scallion into small pieces and mix with ½ tsp oil and a pinch of salt, put in the microwave on high in 30-second intervals until the oil is boiled and the smell of the scallion is lessen.
4. Let the cooked rice cool down a bit, then spread it out on a piece of cling film, top with scallion oil, place the chicken leg on top and wrap the rice around it (3). Preheat the oven at 200°C and stick the chicken with rice on for 10 minutes so that the rice becomes dryer. If you don’t have an oven you can stick the whole thing in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Heat some oil on medium high heat, the oil should be enough to cover at least half of the chicken rice. Test the oil by inserting the tip of a chopstick, if a lot of bubbles form around the chopstick then the oil is hot enough. Deep fry the chicken rice until the rice turns golden brown (4).
“No-escape chicken” is best served hot. The glutinous rice is crunchy, the chicken is tender, the whole thing is so fragrant and mouth-watering, and the shape is very unique and impressive as well.
Hope you will enjoy making and eating this dish 😉