Fried rice, for me, is a very tasty and nutritious dish, it’s quick, simple, and at the same time very economical, because fried rice is one of those dishes you make to clear the pantry. Whenever there are too many left-overs in the fridge, one big pan of fried rice would take care of that in an instant.
This bowl of mine was ‘born’ when I had half a carrot in the fridge, some crab sticks left from making kimbap, a few shrimps in the freezer, some pickles, half a can of corn, I added one small can of tuna from the pantry, and got myself a bowl of fried rice with fish, crab, shrimps, so I decided to name it “Student’s style seafood fried rice” At the end of this post I will also share some tips that I learned from others and from experience on how to make a good fried rice.
Công thức tiếng Việt: Cơm rang “hải sản” kiểu sinh viên & Các mẹo rang cơm ngon
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2-3 people
- 2 cup of cooked rice, let cool (you can read my recipe on how to make rice on stove top here)
- 6-7 pickles
- ½ a carrot
- 3 tablespoons canned sweet corn
- 50g canned tuna + 1 teaspoon sesame oil, pepper, soy sauce, sugar
- 3 crab sticks (surimi)
- 50g shrimps
- 1 egg
- Sugar, pepper, soy sauce
1. Dice pickle, carrot, crab sticks and shrimps.
6-7 pickles; ½ a carrot; 3 crab sticks (surimi); 50g shrimps
2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium high heat, add corn, pickle and carrot and stir for around 1 minutes (I prefer my vegetables to be crunchy so I fried it quickly, you can fry it for longer according to your liking). Pour this mixture into a bowl.
3 tablespoons canned corn
3. Drain the water/oil from the canned tuna. Add the tuna into the pan, drizzle sesame oil over it and stir, add pepper, soy sauce and sugar and continue to stir fry for another 1 minute. Add the crab sticks and shrimp and fry for another 2 minutes and put into a separate bowl.
50g canned tuna + 1 teaspoon sesame oil, pepper, soy sauce, sugar
4. Add ½ teaspoon of oil into the pan, add the rice and use a wooden spoon/chopsticks to separate the rice grains. Fry until the rice gets a bit firmer (around 2-3 minutes)
2 cup of cooked rice
5. Take the pan off the heat, add the egg and stir so that it evenly coats the rice and turn it back to the heat. Add the vegetables and shrimps, crabs, tuna mixture and mix well, season to your taste. And all there’s left is to serve hot and enjoy
1 egg; Sugar, pepper, soy sauce
Tips on making a good fried rice
What makes a tasty bowl of fried rice? It’s pretty difficult to answer this question, because everyone has their own taste preference, so if you ask 10 people, you will have 10 or even more requirements for a tasty bowl of fried rice. However, for me, a tasty bowl of fried rice has to at least fulfil these following requirements, and I will also share with you some tips that I usually use as well:
(1) The rice grains are dry and separated, and they don’t stick together. Personally I feel that fried rice is tasty when the rice is dry, and if there are clumps in a bowl of fried rice it would not seem appetizing either. However dry here doesn’t mean the grains has to be hard, they still have to have their chewiness.
-> Used cooled cooked rice for fried rice. The simplest way is to use a bit less water when you cook the rice, and stick them in the fridge to cool down before frying. If your rice is a bit too wet, leaving them in the fridge (uncovered) overnight will help them dry up as well. Always add the rice last when making fried rice, and only stir fry them until they are hot, don’t fry for too long or they will end up hard
(2) If you use egg, the egg has to evenly coat the rice, giving the fried rice a nice golden colour and a rich tasty mouthfeel.
-> Before adding the egg, take the pan off the heat, mix the egg to coat the rice and then put it back on the heat to cook.
(3) The fried rice is not too oily
-> Use a very good non-stick frying pan and very little oil, I usually add only 1-1,5 tablespoon of oil in total for 2 cups of cooked rice, just enough to firm the rice up.
If you have any tips and tricks, please share with me ^^
Hope you will always have a tasty bowl of fried rice!