Hotdog is a dish that is easy to make and to eat, because hotdog buns and sausages are always abundant in supermarkets, with every level of price, and even the cheapest sausages are delicious already. Before, hotdog for me simply means putting a sausage in a bun, drizzle some mayonnaise, mustard, or ketchup on top and there you have it. It was not until I watched an episode of America’s next top model, where all the models had to pose for an advertisement for a famous hotdog brand, that I know beside the buns and the sausage, hot dog has another important component: the toppings.
A google search showed me hundreds of pages of results with various possibilities of delicious hotdog toppings, from simple choices like vegetables, to more complex choices like meat sauce and herbs, really, the sky is the limit. I’ve already loved hotdog before, so after this ‘discovery’ I was even more intrigued by it. The last time I made hotdog with caramelized shallots, pickles, drizzled with siracha and ketchup, simple yet it was very delicious. This post is nothing of an extravagant recipe, it’s more like a serving suggestion
Bài viết tiếng Việt: Nghịch với món hotdog
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Hotdog buns
- 1 pinch of sugar
- Siracha, mustard, ketchup (your choice)
1. Peel the shallot, cut in half and thinly slice length-wise. Dice the pickles. Usually for one hot dog I’d use 2 shallots and 3 pickles. You can adjust the amount to your preference.
2. Heat a pan on medium-high heat, add 2 teaspoon of oil and add the sliced shallot, toss until the shallots turn golden brown, add the sugar and quickly toss. Drain the shallots and spread them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil and the shallots can crisp up.
3. Add the sausages in the pan, still on medium-high heat, fry each side of the sausages until they turn golden brown.
4. Slice the hotdog buns in half length-wise, only cut until half the width of the buns, that way the buns won’t split when you put in the sausages. Add the sausage in the bun, top with the caramelized shallots and diced pickles, drizzle sauce to your liking and enjoy.
Have a nice weekend everyone ❤