I was a picky eater when I was little, so naturally like a lot of children, I hated eating vegetables. I ate a lot of fruits through, so my mom went easy on me and didn’t really press on making me eat vegetables. However, life change, people change, when I came to France I started to make myself learn how to eat vegetable, starting with easy-to-eat like zucchini soup, and to salad, and now the little picky eater is almost completely gone.
One of my favourite vegetables now is broccoli, which is quite funny to me because it was the type of vegetable that I hated most (and I think this is one that is hated by a lot of kids). Luckily broccoli is always cheap in supermarkets, so I can always get myself a nice fresh broccoli whenever I want to. Today I want to share with you guys my favourite broccoli recipe: Poached broccoli with oyster sauce. The broccoli is quickly poached to keep its green colour, its crunchiness and prevent it from turning bitter, served with a sweet and salty oyster sauce, which makes it really easy to eat and I think it would be a great dish for those who wants to make their kids eat more broccoli
Công thức tiếng Việt: Bông cải xanh sốt dầu hào
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 people
- Half a broccoli head
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
1. Poaching the broccoli: Rinse the broccoli and chop into bite-size pieces. Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop in the broccoli, wait until the water returns to a boil and drain then arrange the broccoli on a plate.
Half a broccoli head
2. Garlic-infused oil: While waiting for the water to boil, peel and mince the garlic (don’t mince too finely). Heat the oil in a pan on medium-high heat, when the oil is hot, add the garlic and let it fry until the garlic starts to turn golden and fragrant. Transfer the garlic-infused oil into a bowl, the garlic will continue to cook in the oil and turn to a golden brown colour like in the photo.
1 tablespoon cooking oil; 3 cloves of garlic
3. Oyster sauce: Use the same pan that you’ve just made garlic-infused oil, mix the oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, sugar, and sesame oil, bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes then take off the heat. Pour this sauce over the broccoli, drizzle some garlic-infused oil on top. Serve hot.
1 tablespoon oyster sauce; 1 tablespoon soy sauce; 1 tablespoon water; 1 teaspoon sugar; ½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
Bon appétit everyone ❤